Quoted from http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Wife-killed-asbestos-husband-s-clothes/story-15317060-detail/story.html
Wife killed by asbestos on husband’s clothes
A WIFE who washed her husband’s asbestos-covered work clothes for a decade died because she was exposed to the deadly dust – even though he was not affected.
Every week, Jill Bolstridge would shake off the dirt from overalls worn by her husband James – who worked at Derby engineering firm S Robinson and Sons – before putting them in the washing machine.
The 56-year-old had been in good health until last May, when she started becoming out of breath and was given an inhaler, an inquest heard.
Doctors confirmed she was suffering from a malignant mesothelioma of the pleura – an asbestos-related cancer affecting the lining of the lungs – and she had major surgery.
But Mrs Bolstridge, of Athol Close, Sinfin, died in October, two days after her family helped her put together a statement about her condition – which was read out at the inquest….
South Derbyshire Coroner’s Court heard how Mr Bolstridge started working at the construction company, off Ascot Drive, in 1981. He told the inquest his job initially included sweeping up in the asbestos yard and moving asbestos sheeting.
He was later promoted and worked on a press indoors but his work bench was near doors to the yard and, he said, dust would blow through and settle on his bench.
He described how early in his career he would go to work in his old clothes before he was later supplied with a one-piece overall.
Mr Bolstridge, 62, said: “There was no cleaning system. It was a matter of taking them home and my wife used to clean them for me.”
In later years, he said, this was changed so that overalls were sent to cleaners in Nottingham but, for 10 years, his wife washed them.
“She shook them to get as much of the dust off as possible before putting them in the washing machine,” he recalled.
The inquest also heard how Mr Bolstridge would take off his clothes in the kitchen and Mrs Bolstridge would shake them before putting them in the washer.
In her statement, which was read out at the court, Mrs Bolstridge said the clothes were “dirty and dusty”.
She said: “I could easily have inhaled some of the dust from Jim’s working clothes.
“Thinking about this in detail now, my face would not be far away from the clothes I was shaking. I did this week in, week out, for years.”
[Article continues at original source]