Building site work from decades ago caused death

Quoted from

Burton Mail

08:00 Mon 13 Feb 2012 Written by by TIM FLETCHER

Building site work from decades ago caused death

A FORMER Burton Mail stalwart died as a result of being exposed to asbestos while working on building sites almost 40 years ago, an inquest has heard.

Andy Parker died at the age of 58 on New Year’s Eve, eight months after being diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma, a cancerous tumour of the lining of the lung and chest cavity.

The inquest into his death heard Mr Parker’s illness happened as a direct result of breathing in asbestos while working as a labourer for Burton building firm Thomas Lowe and Sons in 1973 and 1974.

He worked on sites where asbestos was present, including Burton District Hospital Centre (now the Queen’s Hospital) and Paget High School, in Branston, with duties including sweeping up debris likely to have contained asbestos dust.

Speaking after the inquest, Mr Parker’s widow, Sally Parker, said her husband had been unaware of any risk to his health from his work history until his diagnosis in April.

[Article continues at original source]

Speak Your Mind


Law Offices of Thomas J. Lamb, P.A.
1908 Eastwood Road, Suite 225
Wilmington, NC 28403
Tel: (800) 426-9535
Disclaimer and Copyright