Quoted from http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/local-news/widow_in_compensation_bid_over_asbestos_death_1_3497585
Widow in compensation bid over asbestos death
Published on Thursday 9 February 2012 10:00
AN EASTBOURNE woman whose partner died from a cancer linked to asbestos has launched a legal battle for compensation of up to £150,000.
Gerald Giles, 81, died from malignant mesothelioma, a cancer of the tissues surrounding his lungs, after being exposed to asbestos to work.
Now his partner Marion Collins is demanding damages from his former employers Nicholls and Shoosmith, of Blackboys, Uckfield.
Mr Giles was exposed to deadly asbestos dust and fibres when he worked for the company as an apprentice carpenter in the 40s and 50s, according to a High Court writ.
He helped put up new asbestos corrugated roofs on garages, industrial buildings and farms, and ripped off old asbestos with a crowbar, dropping the pieces onto the ground where he smashed them up with a hammer and shovelled them into a truck, the writ says.
This produced clouds of asbestos dust, which hung around in the air, and asbestos dust and fibres covered his hair and clothes, it is alleged.