Quoted from http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Nurse-exposed-deadly-asbestos-hospital-tunnels/story-13712710-detail/story.html
Nurse exposed to deadly asbestos in hospital tunnels
A NURSE who dedicated her life to helping others died from mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos lining the tunnels in the hospitals she trained in, an inquest heard.
Shirley Burns, 71, of Grimsby Road, Waltham, died in May at St Andrew’s Hospice, Grimsby, after doctors told her there was nothing they could do to help her beat the incurable lung disease.
The district coroner for North East Lincolnshire, Paul Kelly, overruled consultant pathologist Dr William Peters who, following a post-mortem examination, said the mesothelioma was the “rare and spontaneous” result of natural causes.
Instead, Mr Kelly, said he believed it was the result of exposure to asbestos – and therefore industrially related – after hearing Mrs Burns worked in the London training hospitals.
Mr Kelly said: “In the past two or three weeks, the link coroners throughout the country keep in touch with has been quite active with reports of people suffering from mesothelioma and it being traced back to some of the London teaching hospitals – in particular, the tunnels the staff used.
“There is a proven link between asbestos used in these tunnels and later incidents of mesothelioma.”