Quoted from http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3311661
‘It was a death sentence’ — Ex-Falls resident advocate for mesothelioma awareness after husband’s death
By Alison Langley Niagara Falls Review
Posted 12 hours ago
Bud Fisher was dumbfounded.
He was at a loss for words when a doctor told him he had mesothelioma, an aggressive form of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos fibres.
As a teacher, he had spent his career working with students, not chemicals.
Surely, the doctor was wrong.
“It was like we were on an episode of House,” said his wife, Pamela, recalling their mutual disbelief at the diagnosis.
The doctor, however, was certain.
The couple, still doubting the dire diagnosis, went back in time, searching for answers.
Bud and Pamela were high school sweethearts. They were both students at Stamford Vocational Institute in Niagara Falls. They began dating in 1965 after Pamela invited the handsome young man to accompany her on a hay ride.
In 1967, Bud was a university student and had spent the summer wrapping hot pipes at a local chemical plant.
What he didn’t know at the time was that the material used to cover the pipes was asbestos.
Bud carried on with his life — all the while the asbestos was festering inside his body.