Quoted from http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Exposure-to-asbestos-blamed-for-cancer.htm
Make Us Your Homepage
Published: 21/01/2011 08:00
Exposure to asbestos blamed for cancer
by CHRISTINA MASSEY
A 79-YEAR-OLD man died of a disease that lay dormant in his system for decades, a coroner’s court has heard.
William Paskin died at his home in Drayton Street, Swadlincote, on October 8 last year.
Deputy coroner Louise Pinder heard at Derby Coroner’s Court in Mansfield Road how Mr Paskin had worked for Warren Brothers between 1961 and 1971 as a welder at various power stations, including Drakelow.
In a statement written by Mr Paskin himself describing this period of employment, he said that he had been exposed to asbestos ‘extensively’.
Reading from his statement Ms Pinder said: “I could always see the asbestos hanging in the air — it looked like snow.” His son Nigel Paskin said: “Up until about two years ago he was still doing situps and press-ups. He used to play football with his nephew — he was really really fit.” In April 2009 Mr Paskin went to his GP complaining of stomach and chest pains.
A few months later, on December 4 2009, he went again to see his GP, who sent him straight to hospital. Shortly afterwards he was diagnosed with cancer.
[Article continues at original source]