Quoted from http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1346050_war_veteran_died_from_industrial_disease
War veteran died from ‘industrial disease’
October 19, 2010
A war veteran who was exposed to asbestos while working for three companies died as a result of industrial disease, a Coroner has ruled.
Eric Whyment, 87, of Earls Lodge, Failsworth, died at Royal Oldham Hospital in February from bronchial pneumonia caused by asbestosis, a condition usually caused by exposure to the deadly material.
An inquest in Oldham on Monday was told Mr Whyment came into contact with asbestos fibres on a daily basis working for Ferranti in Hollinwood, Marlborough Mill, Failsworth, and Chain Bar Mill, Moston over a period of 30 years.
Throughout his long career Mr Whyment, who retired when he was 75, was involved in tasks that disturbed the fibres on lagging pipes and boilers in the buildings.
A statement made by Mr Whyment in February last year, which was read out at the inquest, said: “Every day I would come into contact with asbestos. There was always a thick layer of dust. The dust would go everywhere and anywhere. No one every provided me with a mask or warned me about the harm. I even ate my sandwiches among the dust.”